The purpose of this assignment is to encourage you to use efficient planar brushstrokes to define the shape of objects as well as mix colors to describe light and shadow.
- Use a wide variety of complex colors (3 or more mixed together) to create visual interest and define light and shadow
- Use brushstrokes to efficiently illustrate the different planes within your subject
- Use color, value, and planes to create an illusion of space
- The level of craftsmanship should be high, care should be taken with your composition
- This work must be completed with only original reference photos
Keep in Mind:
- Local color is the color of an object in normal light, use this as a jumping off point and see what other interesting colors you can create.
- Choose an original photograph that has interesting light and shadows. If your lighting is flat it will be harder for you to push light and shadow in your painting
- Use color to move the viewer’s eye around the piece. If you have mixed a great color, remember the rule of 3’s. Move that color around your composition in at least three places
Some famous artists that used planar painting in their own work:
Download the rubric here: PlanarPaintingRubric