- your bowl should be at least 5″x5″
- the bowl should have auspicious designs around the entirety of the outside
- designs should be made in relief
- paint colors should reinforce your auspicious concept
- write an artist statement about your auspicious bowl. Why did you choose the symbols you did? How to they relate to the idea of auspiciousness? How do the colors enhance/reinforce your idea? Help the viewer understand your creative process.
Keep in Mind:
- what do you do to bring luck your way? This is about you!
- your auspicious designs can be in a motif or portrayed as a narrative
- your glaze choices should enhance your design (what is your lucky color?)
- all parts of your bowl should be addressed (the bottom of your bowl is just as important as the rest!)
Download the rubric here
How to build using coils:
PowerPoint on Auspicious Bowls Lesson:
Chinese Animal Symbolism:
Chinese Flower Symbolism:
Chinese Color Symbolism: